Monday, July 27, 2009

My new approach to job searching



I may have only graduated last year, but I'm looking to start a new career path. Its better to search for the perfect job that aligns with my strengths now than later. I'm deep into my job search but, I really don't like sitting at my computer and looking for opportunities on the internet. However, I am torn between this love/hate battle of internet searching. The reason why I don't like applying to opportunities on the internet is because I feel like everyone is doing this now and my resume just gets lost in the shuffle and various databases. But, there's a part of me that pushes myself to search because I don't want to miss out on any amazing opportunities.

Since I'm the type of person that doesn't like staying in the house, I knew I would loose my mind sitting inside looking for jobs all day. So, I've decided to volunteer (one of my favorite things to do!) to meet new people and gain experience. I also try to set up "informational" meetings with at least one new person a week. If you're looking for a new job, I suggest finding a new approach that works for you. Maybe you're really social and like going to events and happy hours. Go out and network until you can't network anymore! Or maybe you like to share your feelings with the world on Facebook. Write notes about why people should hire you and maybe people with openings at their jobs will contact you. I'll keep you posted on how my new approach works and definitely share your ideas with us.

No comments: