Monday, December 15, 2008

Mean Girls: In Corporate America


Just when you thought you left the cattiness, gossip, and drama in college, you enter the world of corporate America and realize some people just don't grow out of those bad habits. Almost everyone has seen "Mean Girls." Remember Regina, the Plastics, and the infamous "Burn Book?" Well, I sometimes feel like I work with the Mean Girls at my job.

They love to gossip about people at the work place and you know when they're talking about others because they start whispering and talking really slow, "OMG, I heard she got fired because she was doing something fishy with her expense account" or "Yea, she moved in with him and they've only been dating for 4 months." Also, I've noticed that they shoot each other dirty looks during meetings when they don't like what the other has said. I have even seen women out right roll their eyes, sigh loudly, and disrespectfully point their fingers at people.

I've only been working for 6 months and unfortunately, I don't have all the answers on how to deal with the "Corporate Plastics." But I do have a few tips:

1. Don't say anything private/personal around ANYONE. The whole floor will know by the end of the day

2. Choose your words wisely, people can easily misinterpret what you say and take offensive. Believe me, you don't want your co-workers against you because of something you said

3. Trust no one; you don't have to be friends with everyone. Remember corporate America is a game that you have to learn how to play and the best players win everytime

4. When you feel the urge to share some juicy gossip, stop and think about how you would feel if someone was talking about you. People often put up a strong "I don't care what people think or say" front, but no one likes to be talked about negitively, it hurts

What are some of your stories or advice?

No comments: